Quietism, Poetry and Study
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quietism, Poetry and Study

Promoting experiential Christian learning through poetry.

HomeCalendarLatest imagesFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Contemplation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Windward Quietist
Admin
Windward Quietist

Contemplation Empty
PostSubject: Contemplation   Contemplation EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 11:36 am

I became familiar with the concept of contemplation in a Christian sense only a few years ago when I had faced some rather difficult circumstances in my life, before contemplation became my chief prayer, I prayed as most people seem to pray. If I wanted something from the God that I believed in I would ask for it and my prayers were rather static in regard to content and inspiration. I would say a few words or be very eloquent and longwinded. I talked in voice or mind to God; yet it must be said in my view that I did not spend much time listening.

To listen internal silence is required.

I think it would be meet to provide some pertinent definitions for the main subject matter this forum will address.

<--- Concise Oxford English Dictionary --->
contemplation
noun contemplation
▶(in Christian spirituality) a form of prayer in which a person seeks a direct experience of the divine.

<--- MacMillan English Dictionary -American --->
contemplation
the religious activity of thinking about God

“Pray without ceasing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:17

To pray by definition is to request something. A prayer in which the Lord's presence by itself suffices is by definition the humblest and most receptive of prayers. Nothing else is desired other than to dwell peacefully with God.
Therefore it may be said that in such contemplation the worshiper is as a child or beggar before God, passive and lowly receiving whatever He provides be it guidance, peacefulness, words, so forth.  

<--- Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary --->
pray
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French prier, praer, preier, from Latin precari, from prec-, prex request, prayer; akin to Old High German frāga question, frāgēn to ask, Sanskrit pṛcchati he asks Date:              13th century

transitive verb
1 : ENTREAT, IMPLORE ― often used as a function word in introducing a question, request, or plea <pray be careful>
2 : to get or bring by praying
intransitive verb
1 : to make a request in a humble manner
2 : to address God or a god with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving

It may be said that unceasing prayer cannot always be in speech or mental speech, that requests to God will become few, one will lack words, discourse will lessen in the sense that one's talk externally and internally shall end eventually. At some point the worshiper's belief in the presence of God in himself is wholly sufficient, their prayers will become silent and contemplative. There will be a lack of words.

Being devoid of goodness and light, he quietly and passively receives it from God in prayers which are purely personal.

“And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.” Mark 10:18

“But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.” Matthew 6:6
Back to top Go down
https://windwardquietism.forumotion.com

Contemplation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Quietism, Poetry and Study :: Studies-
Jump to: